Mayor Cory Mason and the City of Racine is excited to announce that the Youth Employment Program is back for summer of 2023! The Youth Employment Program is an 8-week program that provides City of Racine area youth, ages 16 to 24, work placements within City of Racine departments.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with City of Racine professionals completing hands-on projects, job shadowing, and gain knowledge in a professional field. We offer a variety of positions and departments including, marketing/social media for the Fire Department, early education with the Library, working outdoors with the Parks and DPW departments, and more!
In addition to working directly within City of Racine departments, every Friday you will come together as a cohort to participate in activities that will enhance your personal and professional development. This year’s #FundamentalFridays will focus on:
- Mental Health
- Financial Literacy
- Exploring and Learning at Root River
- Resume and Interview Preparing
- CPR training
To stay updated on future youth employment programs with the City of Racine, sign-up for our text alerts
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The City of Racine’s Youth Employment Program (YEP) is an 8-week employment program. YEP provides City area youth, ages 16 to 24, with work placements directly in a City of Racine department.
What is the Youth Employment Program (YEP)?
An employment program that provides youth with employment working directly with City of Racine professionals completing hands-on projects, job shadowing, and gaining an authentic work experience. We are offering a variety of positions and City departments. For example;
- Racine Fire Department
- Racine Public Library
- Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services
And Many More!
How do I participate in the YEP?
There is a 2-part application process Youth must complete in order to be considered for participation in the Youth Employment Program. Application period is April 28th – May 15th.
- Part 1: Online application- Due Monday, May 15, 2023
- Part 2: Minimum of 1-minute video answering the following:
- Your name
- What is your school, pathway/Major?
- Fun fact about yourself
- What are your career interests and why?
- What do you hope to accomplish or learn from the Youth
- Employment Program?
Where can I access the YEP application?
Here is the link to the application. YEP Application
How long is the YEP (Youth Employment Program)?
The Youth Employment Program is an 8-week summer program.
- Application Period: April 28th – May 15th
- Human Resources On-boarding: Week of June 12th
- Youth Employment Program: June 26th – August 18th
Which City of Racine department will I work for?
- On your application, you will choose your top 3 City departments or careers of interest. We will do our best to match you with one of those departments.
- In some cases, we will place you with a department that may be a better fit based on your application.
- You will know your department placement once you receive an offer letter.
Is my position in the YEP secured after applying?
As much as we would love to hire every youth who applies to our program, we cannot. Spaces are limited and based on work demand. You are evaluated based on your application and video submission for placement. Therefore, please be sure to answer all the questions and meet all requirements and deadlines.
How many hours will I work a week?
- YEP Participants must be able to commit to the full program, acknowledging they cannot miss more than 1-week of work.
- You will work up to 25 hours per week.
- You will be a part-time City of Racine employee.
How much will I be paid per hour?
- $15/ hour, you will be paid on a bi-weekly basis.
- We encourage direct deposits. Please indicate on the application if you do not have a bank account.
Are there any restrictions or requirements?
- You must be between the ages of 16 and 24.
- You must be able to work at least 7 out of the 8 weeks of the program. (email Kischa Buford if you have any questions or concerns)
- You must complete both parts of the YEP application.
What documentation will I need to provide?
- Social Security Card
- Wisconsin ID or Driver’s License
- Parental agreement if under the age of 18
What's the proper dress attire?
- Attire will depend on your department placement. For example, Finance department may require business casual whereas Department of Public Works may require jeans and steel-toed boots.
- We will provide you with a YEP T-shirt & Polo.
- Your department manager will inform you of uniform or dress requirements during the on-boarding process.
Will I be responsible for my own transportation?
Every YEP participant can request a free RYDE Racine bus pass. This bus pass is available for Youth to use for transportation to and from work, in addition to being used outside of the Youth Employment Program itself.
Fundamental Friday’s (Cohort Day’s): Youth employees come together as a cohort and experience activities that will enhance/ improve their professional and personal development. Topics include:
- Mental Health
- Financial Literacy
- Kayaking at the Root River Environmental Education Center, and more!
Fundamental Friday’s will be 3-4 hours long (starting at 9 AM). They are mandatory and will be every Friday.